Schroeder's Meat Market
Fritz Schroeder began his meat market business just across the bridge from Milan in a small building, which was against the bridge walls. Schroeder later moved it to Canal Street to the left of the IOOF building in the block known as the Opera House Block. The old frame building that housed the Meat Market and a couple shoe stores was torn down, and the building that now houses Keillor’s Teddy Bear shop stands where those old businesses stood (at one time, the Fulton Pharmacy occupied this building).
The 1891 Business Directory states:
"As he only slaughters the very choicest of stock, he has on hands at all times the finest cuts of tenderloin steaks, pork, mutton, lamb, sausage, pigs feet, etc., everything being in the most cleanly condition and order about his ship. Mr. Scroder is a native of Germany, where he was born in 1826, and whence he emigrated to the United States in 1850. He is honored and esteemed by all who know him, and all his commercial transactions are characterized with high honesty and integrity."
Barnhart, the butcher from Burton Porter’s “Old Canal Days” was based on Fritz Schroeder.