The red, brick Italianate style buildings that compose the Union Block on the Eastern corner of Market & Canal Street were built by John Hammer and George Myers in 1876. The architectural features are a standard Victorian Italianate style for commercial storefronts. The block is composed of two separate buildings in the same style with decorative modillions, hood molds over the windows (for diverting water away from open spaces in the wall), recessed entrances, and large plate glass display windows. Located on the Eastern corner of Public Square (the respectable set of corners in Canal Fulton), the block has seen a number of commercial ventures come and go.
John (J.E. Hammer) helped found and managed the Fulton Tool Works, and George Myers (born 1853 in Chippewa Township) is listed in the 1896 Business Directory as a “stock dealer”. The buildings were called the Myers-Hammer block, when they were first built, but directories as early as 1887 show the name of the block as the Union block.